German Chocolate Cake
German Chocolate Cake Named so because of
Samuel German who created the mild dark chocolate bar
for Baker's Chocolate in 1852.
German Chocolate Cake Recipe
4 oz. Baker's German Chocolate
4 eggs, separated (for grocery - make sure to have 4 xtra or 8 all together to make this filling)
2 1⁄3 c. Cake flour(actually 2 c. 4 Tbsp.)
1 1⁄2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1⁄4 tsp. salt
2⁄3 c. butter, room temp. (2 sticks)
1 c. butter milk
1 tsp. vanilla
To make the cake
Preheat the oven to 350°
Prep 2 (9 in.) pans with wax paper / parchement paper spray with cooking spray
1. Whip egg white to stiff peaks -set aside
2. Melt Chocolate-to almost melted and stir-(the recipe on the box use 1⁄2 c. water, but i believe it dilutes the chocolate flavor, why not use coffee or something to enhance the flavor of the chocolate)
3.Sift; Flour, baking soda and salt
4. Cream; butter and sugar until light and fluffy-add egg yolks in one at a time to be sure to
incorporate each one.
5. Combine; 3⁄4 c. butter milk, vanilla chocolate and flour mixture together..but you want to
alternately add the milk and flour as you combine. Then mix in 1⁄4 c. milk lastly.
6. Gently stir in whipped egg whites and pour into your pans
7. Bake; at 350 f for 30-35 min. Allow to cool for 15 min. in the pan but shimmy a knife around
the edges of the pan first, immediately after it is baked. Remove the cakes from the pans to cool
on a cooling rack completely. Decorate as planned.