Chocolate Mondays:Fillings #2 Moussaline Cream

Mousseline after adding the creamed 1/3 c. of softened butter
This filling became a dream.
My vision for the next filling
To try no-churn ice cream
and sherbert
Number two on our list for fillings is Mousseline Cream. You'll want to try this one. For this recipe, I tried to balance sweets and fruit. Fruit actually can aid in not adding so much sugar. Orange and Pineapple juice are great choices.
I wanted to lighten up the mousseline even more and give it color too. I whipped up heavy cream and put a few Tbsp. of Pomegranate molasses.  I only needed a couple drops of food gel to achieve the color I wanted, but you can omit it.
I opt for frozen fruits or even can fruit work well in a parfait, depending on how sweet you want yours. There's no shame in draining off syrup and a gentle rinse with fresh water.
The next element is the crunch. I baked the cupcakes longer and they turned out with a bit of a cookie like surrounding, but the middle stayed soft...Perfect! If you ever have cake left over you can either crumble it and bake the crumbs until toasted or save them for cake pops. I'm waiting for that day when we have cake left! until then I have to bake mine again!
I love fondue so had to try it with the peeps, even though I'm not a fan of peeps, sugary candy...but I thought the kids would enjoy them and they did. I had 18 to start...just a trial!
My daughter took over the fondu project right away. At first, said just covered one side but because of the way the peeps are packaged, I thought for aesthetics it was better to cover them completely. No one argued with me...more chocolate...yey!
Pomegranate Mousseline
with blueberries and Chocolate Cake
topped with chocolate covered Peeps!!
The berries are soo delicious with the Pomegranate.

I had heard about mousseline cream. I had to see the difference. 
So I tried the recipe on Eugenie's Kitchen. 
oh my goodness...very creamy, not as thick! I love it. It has to be used
within a day, which isn't a problem around these parts, but something to consider when
making it.

Below is the recipe with Pomegranate  Molasses and whip cream...mmm new discoveries every day!

Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
Filling #2 Mousseline Cream

Ingredients
2 cups milk (480ml)
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (80g)
¼ cup all-purpose flour (30g)
¼ cup cornstarch (30g)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter (75g)
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (75g)

Instructions



1. In a thick bottom sauce pan warm 2 cups of milk over low heat.

2. In a bowl cream egg yolks and granulated sugar. Sift in all-purpose flour and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Finally, stir in vanilla and a pinch of salt.

3. Pour only 1/4 of warm milk into (2) and whisk to combine. Then pour the cream in the pan of the warm milk.
4. Over medium heat bring it to a boil whisking constantly. When it starts to boil, whisk continually until the cream thickens.
5. Remove from the heat stir in 1/3 cup of unsalted butter. Mix until combined. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl and let cool.
6. Meanwhile, cream 1/3 cup of softened butter. When the cream is cooled to room temperature, add in the butter. Whisk until smooth.

Chocolate Notes

To see other examples of how to use this filling click on the picture link

  • While waiting for the cream too cool. you can whip 1 C. of heavy cream until it thickens and whip in 2-3 Tbsp. of Pomegranate molasses, too stiff peaks. (not butter)


  • Take a portion of the mousseline and fold into the whipped cream. If you want a more pink or red color to add 1-2 drops of red food gel. The key is to fold not whip since the butter solids in both creams are easy to break down.





For the chocolate fondue

2 C. chocolate/ semi-sweet 
1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
melt the chocolate and stir in the oil (add more oil as needed for the consistency you want)

Dip what you like, peeps, jelly beans, fruit or cake squares ;)



Comments

Popular Posts