Saturday, February 18, 2017

Coffee Cake


Hello,
What's your favorite treat to have with coffee, tea or cocoa? I love a light pastry or a small piece of spice cake or coffee cake, especially if I've had a light breakfast and I've been busy all day. Just to stop and have a slice of something gets me smiling and ready to tackle the challenges of the day.
I love the convenience of  box pancake mix, especially Bisquick, because I grew up on it when my mother made pancakes for us. Except for my 14th birthday she made my grandmother's recipe for blueberry pancakes.

I was in heaven. She rarely made homemade anything at that time, because she went to school at night and worked two jobs. I had been trying to duplicate those light fluffy pancakes, filled with slightly sweetened blueberries. Alas with no success.

Fast forward twenty years...or more. All my attempts at finding the right recipe for pancakes has left a dry taste in everyone's mouth. So I stepped back from making homemade and went back to the box.

Until the summer my 2nd daughter decided to use the recipe for Coffee cake and dilute it to pancake consistency. The line of thinking was that if pancakes were cakes then why not try and use a cake recipe. Cut back on the sugar about 1/2 or it will stick, unless you deep fry it and then you almost have a fritter!

Moving around as much as we have in the past 15 yr., well that Coffee Cake recipe is long gone.

Now Maybe I have a fondness for Coffee Cakes, since I love cinnamon crumble on top or maybe it's the memories of times gone by with my mom and my children. As Stevie Nicks says in her song "Landslide" Children get older and I'm getting older too. It's a wonderful process.
Below is a recipe I found in and old Women's Circle...not many recipe's call for scalded milk. I also love that it uses a yeast just like a bread dough, which I believe a good Coffee Cake recipe usually has.  On top of all that I believe it's pretty simple to make. So as winter leaves and spring arrives, maybe you'll soak in the last few days of reflection with a cup of coffee and coffee cake.

Coffee Cake
Ingredients
1 1/2 c. scalded Milk
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter or margarine
1/4 c. milk
1 1/4 tsp. or pack of yeast
1 egg
4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. coursely chopped almonds or walnuts
1/2 c. seedless raisins
Butter 
Cinnamon and Sugar mix

Method;

  1. Place the yeast in 1/4 c. milk.
  2. Scald the 1 1/2 c. milk and put in the 1/3 c. sugar and 1/3 c. butter. When it's luke warm, add the yeast/milk mixture.
  3. Add the egg. Transfer and Mix well in a mixing bowl
  4. Sift flour and salt then mix with the milk for 4-5 min.
  5. Fold in the almonds and raisins. Set in a warm place to rise until very light.
  6. Turn into a greased, shallow pan and let rise a second time. Brush lightly with butter and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar on the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 min. 


I hope you get to make this treat for you and your family until then tootles and Happy Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment