Monday, June 29, 2015

Chocolate Congratulations Graduation Cake

So I made this cake for my son Completing High School. This was difficult not because of all the usual teen trials and growing pains, but mostly because the SSI dept. didn't do much in the way of supporting us or our son for the three yrs. He went there. Torture. Manipulation, assuption, deception all under the guise of putting the child first was to say the least degrading  and shameful...hypocrisy runs rapid in the  world where folks are supposed to be leading students toward success. Admid all that, my child has survived and he will recover and thrive under the continued loving care of his father and I and as he said this week when I gave him his certificate "I'm free!"  I'm so happy for him, and extremely proud of his endurance and his successes thru this whole experience! One of my many ways to say I love you is thru cake...
I baked him this cake. It was originally a... 
Mint Chocolate Ganache Devils food Cake from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.
 
I bought a box Chocolate cake and made it into a mock pound cake . Then I used half of the ganache for the filling by whipping it after it cooled.
Here's the recipe below;

One box dark chocolate cake
4 large eggs
1/3 c. Yogurt
1/3 c. Vegetable oil
1/2 cup brewed instant coffee
1/2 cup dark soda

My 10 yr. Old daughter mixed all the ingredients in a large bowl with a hand mixer while I sprayed the springform pan and coated the pan with cocoa.

BAKE: According to box direction..about 30 min. Test doneness with a skewer. Keeping in mind that chocolate cakes don't need to be dry when you remove it from the oven...if some crumbs cling...perfect...just not a liquid for this cake.

Note:
9 inch springform;  I used the bottom insert for cake to sit on.
cocoa for dusting the pan

Ganache pouring & whipped

12 oz. Simi sweet chocolate
1 3/4 c. Heavy cream (about two cups...don't want it too drippy..so I stopped short of 2c.)

1.Heat the heavy cream just to a boil,
2.Then pour in the chocolate. Let the chocolate sit for a few min. Then whisk until the mixture is combined. Set aside while the cake cools.
3.Seperate the ganache about 1 c. Or more for the filling and crumb coating. Whip with the hand mixer until thick and creamy, like chocolate frosting.

4.Once the cake cools torte the cake in half you could pipe a well of the whipped Ganache on the outer edge and then fill with the rest of the Whipped filling. place in the frig. for 10 to 15 min.
5. Place a large piece of parchment on the counter. Place the cake on the plate onto the parchment, pour the ganache over the cake. When the cake is set up(stop dripping) Cleanup the plate with a bench scaper or spatula. Lift the set cake to your stand.
Use the scaper to clean up any access ganache on the parchment! Somehow I still managed to get ganache under the parchment but most of it went back into my bowl for other uses... like flubbing to transport the cake and having to doctor the damage! You know for stuff like that ;)

Note#2 My teen daughter ate a good bit of my chocolate soo I didn't have enough of the simi-sweet chips. So i used a mixture of  plain cocoa and a special dark cocoa to create the simi-sweet chocolate for the ganache. So it's darker than the Martha Stewarts version, and because I used box it is somewhat smaller cake. Still delicious...at least to my crew of discriminating tasters.
Hope get to try this yummy cake...if you would like the link to Martha's original recipe you'll find it here. Martha Stewarts: Mint Devils Food Cake


No comments:

Post a Comment